I bought a second hand 8 Gig Apple iPhone 2G from a phone store in Centre Point Shopping Complex, Sabah last month. Unlike the other phones, iPhones comes with many functionality and uniquely designed. Here is the specs. Even for this 2nd handed phone, it still cost me RM1550 to get one. My friend call me crazy for sepnding such money that is equally same price with a newly Nokia N95 8Gig. After all, they were enviously and eager to have one too.
After a week buying it, I was accidentally upgraded its firmware from 2.2 to 2.2.1 and its locked. Most people say that they was accidentally upgrade its software but actually there is no chance of accidental upgrades because once your iPhone detected by iTunes, It will automatically offer you to upgrade. DON'T UPGRADE your firmware unless you know what to do next. That is my first mistake, I upgraded it without any cautions that my phone will be unlocked after the process. That is why people simply call it 'accidently upgrade the firmware...'
Now that I have to unlock and jailbreak my iphone. Note that, iPhone only works with AT&T carrier. Unlock means unlock the iPhone so that it will work with any GSM carrier in any country. Jailbreak is to enable 3rd party software to be installed in iPhone. I have been trough this process and successfuly unlock my beloved iPhone by following this instruction.
Step by step to unlock iPhone 2G with firmware 2.2.1 for windows
1. Download these following files below and put them together in a folder named 'quickpwn' in you desktop.
iTunes (the latest one)
Bootloader v3.9(BL 3.9 and BL4.6)
iPhone 2G Firmware 2.2.1 (iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw)
2. Install iTunes and extract QuickPwn-225-2.zip.
3. Connect iPhone 2G to computer. Make sure it is detected by iTunes and then press SHIFT + hit RESTORE button. On clicking RESTORE button, you will be asked for .ipsw file. Select “iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw” and OPEN. Wait until the process complete.
4. Open QuickPwn, click the blue arrow button. Locate iPhone firmware file (”iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw“) and click OPEN.
5. Now choose what you want to do with your iPhone. Add Cydia, Add Installer - add Cydia and Installer to you iPhone, Replace Boot Logo - Startup Apple Logo will be replace by Quickpwn logo, Unlock iPhone - Enables you to use Sim card from any carrier around the globe and then NEXT.
6. Browse the Bootloader files (V3.9 and V4.6)from the QuickPwn folder in your desktop.
7. Follow the following instruction precisely and it will work!
Good luck :)
For a graphical instruction, please click here. To unlock iPhone 2G firmware 2.2.1 for Mac OS, please click here.
Unlock/jailbreak iPhone 2G firmware 2.2.1 for Windows
Unlock/jailbreak iPhone 2G firmware 2.2.1 for Mac
Tags for this post :
Apple iPhone 2G, Unlock iPhone, Jailbreak iPhone, Quickpwn software, iPhone firmware 2.2.1, upgrade iPhone firmware, iTunes.